Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Why I Do This

Since writing this blog I have been reading other blogs and am now convinced that there are more bad writers writing today than ever before. Blogging encourages it.

When I was kid, writers had diaries and they were for no one to read but the writer. There was a reason for that. The diaries were either extremely personal or incredibly boring. Either way, the contents weren't appropriate to share with the world. Today it doesn't matter.

I'm sure every blogger thinks that what they have to say is important. Otherwise, why would they write it? I have felt that way on occassions, but then I will read a blog that is so eloquently written that I'm suddenly cut down to size and instantly feel common and shallow.

So why do I continue? Well, for me, it's a mental exercise. It keeps my mind, memory and writing skills, or lack of, sharp.

I think the main reason I blog, though, is because it's a record of who I am and what I think. People who don't know me can get to know me better. And the ones that do know me will maybe understand why I am the way I am. It's a record of me that can be passed through my family to generations to come.

I know that this blog can't hold a candle to other blogs out there. Many others, but it is what it is and it is part of who I am.