Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Had They Been Born Today

I often wonder if certain popular figures of the past had been born today what would they be doing. Chances are that being born under different circumstances and time periods many of them wouldn't be famous - or at least as famous as they are now.

For example Bonnie and Clyde, the notorious bank robbers of the great depression. Their crimes were driven by their egos which were magnified by the media. Had they been born today I don't believe they would have robbed banks. No, I think they would have become reality TV stars.

What about Mark Twain and Will Rogers? They were two of the most popular humorist of their time. However, would they have the same success in a more modern world? I don't think so. They would both still have been admired, but only as college professors.

And then there's Davy Jones, the lead singer of the popular 1960's band The Monkees. In his day he made the hearts of my female sixth grade classmates flutter. Had he been born today? Well...I actually think he'd still be a teen idol.

No comments: