Friday, August 21, 2009

My Way

"I did it my way," is a popular phrase that many people not only love to believe in, but also claim to live by. Unless a person is a hermit, though, I doubt if many people really live life "their way" all of the time.

When I was younger it was cool to hear Frank Sinatra sing "My Way," and say to myself, "that's how I'm going to live."

However, saying and doing are two different things. I have a job, friends, outside interests and family obligations that often force me to make compromises in how I think and do things. These compromises often bring me pleasant surprises and have taught me lessons in life.

One lesson I've learned is that if you are a responsible spouse, friend, parent, child, sibling, boss or employee, you can't always do things "your way," and is that really such a bad thing?

No comments: