Monday, September 7, 2009

The Fear of Bees

I have always been somewhat annoyed by people that are afraid of bees. I'm not bothered by their fear, but more by their way of showing it. And they're all the same. They all tend to panic. They make noises and draw attention to themselves. And if anything, in their fit of anxiety, they seem to always bring the bees closer to them.

Now I am not one to criticize a persons phobias. Lord knows I have enough of them, but I have never understood this abrupt behavior change in mild mannered people that only occurs when bees show up.

Until now.

The other day I was stung by a bee for the first time in my life. I figured if I ever got stung it would feel like a shot does and sting for a few seconds and then be done. I was not expecting that sting to throb for hours.

Fortunately, that incident hasn't added another phobia to my list, but instead, has made me a little bit more tolerant when bees show up and the people around me go into complete panic mode.

No comments: