Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Date That Never Was

I was in this acting class in New York City back in the days in which I was an actor. In this particular class there was a very beautiful girl. She was a professional model, but wanted to take some acting classes so that when her modeling career was over, she would have something to fall back on.

She lived right next to the subway I needed to take to get home, so every night after class we would walk together on our way to our separate apartments. This went on for months.

She was a talker and loved to talk about her boyfriend. On the night of our last class, she asked me if I could come over Saturday night and she would cook me dinner - just me. I asked about her boyfriend and she told me that they had broken up.

My first thought was that she wasn't really over her boyfriend and that she would be using me for rebound purposes. And for a twenty two year-old male, this was great news.

On the night of our dinner date, I arrived with wine and wearing my very best silk shirt. After all, this was the 1970's. Well, actually it was 1981, but things hadn't really changed yet.

We were having a great time, until her phone rang. She was on the phone for at least forty-five minutes and when she came back into the room she told me that it was her ex-boyfriend on the other line. Apparently, he had wanted to come over, but she told him that she had a dinner guest and didn't have enough food.

So the night went on for a little while longer, until there was a knock at her door. It was her ex-boyfriend and he had brought his own steak to cook. I knew then that I was in trouble, but was determined not to be the first one to leave.

Everytime she would leave the room, he would say to me that he was not going home. I took this as a challenge and decided that I would not budge from her couch.

Dinner was awkard and after dinner was worse. I was obviously the odd man out and everyone knew it. She finally asked me if I could leave and by that time I was happy to oblige her.

I saw her about three years later - on television. She was in a commercial for Tampons. True story.

No comments: